This five-day training course prepares you for the position of Data Protection Officer in your company. We provide an overview of the prevailing and new legislation on data processing, i.e. the General Data Protection Regulation. The Data Protection Officer’s responsibilities are also explained in detail. During this course, we deal with practical matters such as risk analyses, applying cryptography, drawing up a security policy and monitoring the security plan.
During this course, we apply all this based on various practical cases. We discuss the processing of personal data in various company processes, such as personnel management and direct marketing. Using practical methods, we teach you techniques that allow you to fulfil your role. This course ends with a certification examination. It is approved for CPE credits: successful participation in the course (passing the examination) equates to 30 CPE credits.
Why take this course?
- You are confronted with GDPR in your company or in your position.
- You would like to have a general overview of the GDPR in both legal and technical terms.
- You would like to obtain DPO certification.
This five-day course is aimed at both external consultants who want to learn more about the current issues of GDPR and for internal staff who want to become Data Protection Officers (DPO) or learn more about data privacy.
- To understand what the GDPR entails and why it is important.
- To know the main articles.
- To understand the principles of the GDPR.
- To find out about the scope of application of the GDPR.
- To understand the rights of data subjects.
- To understand what constitutes processing under the GDPR.
- To know the data controller’s and processor’s responsibilities.
- To understand the function of the DPO.
- To understand what risk analyses are.
- To understand the main technical and organisational measures that a data controller or a processor is able to adopt.
- To understand the basic elements of cryptography.
- To find out what a register of processing activities is.
- To understand the concepts of data protection by design and by default.
- To understand what constitutes breaches in respect of personal data and what steps must be taken as regards the compliance officer and the data subjects.
Educational approach of this course
It is given by instructors who are leading experts in their field and who present the subject matter interactively.
Groups taking this course typically comprise around 20 students (minimum 8, maximum 24 course participants).
Each course participant receives a printed version of the course materials with some space to make notes if needed. The information is also made available in a digital learning environment and instructors provide practical examples.
This course includes an exam. End product: participants who pass the exam, receive the “Data Protection Officer” certificate.
How to prepare yourself
Prior knowledge: none.
Online Learning Platform:
- Before the start of the course you will receive access to the online learning platform.
- In preparation, you can view visual material on this learning platform as an introduction.
- You will also find the digital course here, as well as some interviews. These are part of the study material for the exam.
TIP: This course is of the challenging kind. Therefore, provide enough time to do some studying or revising in the evenings if necessary. If possible, schedule the training during a less busy work week.
Questions can be submitted beforehand. If possible, and in keeping with the scope of the course, they will be answered during the lessons.
Click here for more information about our teachers.
1Day 1 09h00 - 17h00
2Day 2 09h00 - 17h00
3Day 3 09h00 - 17h00
4Day 4 09h00 - 17h00
5Day 5 09h00 - 17h00
- Getting to know the participants.
- Discussion of expectations and practical arrangements during the course.
- Description and explanation of use of course material and examination.
- History of privacy legislation.
- GDPR terms and scope of application, definitions.
- Special categories.
- Principles of the GDPR.
- Rights of the data subject.
- Obligations of the controller.
- Security, notification, data leaks.
- Transfer to third countries, international organisations.
- DPO definition and responsibilities.
- Compliance, enforcement, redress, sanctions.
- Applying the GDPR in practice.
- Technical and organisational measures.
- Advice and jurisprudence.
- Data Protection by Design and by Default.
- ISO27000 and risk management.
- Applying the GDPR in practice.
- Register of processing activities.
- Data Protection Impact Assessment.
- Cooperation and authority.
- Summarising the teaching material.
- Answering any questions relating to the study material for the examination.
- Examination in the afternoon. Duration: 2.30 hours, examination form: 72 multiple choice questions, 1 case to be explained orally, one written case.
We are recognized by:
Registration number KMO portefeuille: DV.O213013
Our courses are accredited for the KMO-portefeuille. This means that, depending on whether you are a small or medium-sized enterprise, you can receive a 30% or 20% subsidy from the Flemish Government on the cost of registration.
Acknowledgement by Flanders (Vlaams Opleidingsverlof)
Under certain conditions, employees in the private sector are entitled to the Flemish training leave. They may be absent from work to follow a training course, while their wages continue to be paid. After the training, the employer can be reimbursed a lump sum as compensation.
Acknowledgement by Chèque-Formation
The training voucher allows you to benefit from financial aid to train your workers in one of the approved training centres. Worth 30 euros, it corresponds to 1 hour of training per worker.
Accreditation by the Brussels Regional Public Service (Brussels Paid Educational Leave)
Our training is recognised by the Brussels Economy and Employment of the Brussels Regional Public Service. The training programme qualifies for the Brussels Paid Educational Leave.
Accreditation by the Institute of Company Lawyers
Our training is recognised by the IJE-IBJ. The training programme qualifies for the continuing education obligation.
Financial Services and Markets Authority
Our training is recognised by the FSMA. The training programme qualifies for continuing education credits for compliance officers.
Legal points by Orde van Vlaamse Balies
If you submit an individual training file at the Orde van Vlaamse Balies, this can give you 30 legal points within the framework of general training. This programme is also recognised for CPE credits: successful participation in the programme (passing the exam) equals 15.6 CPE credits.
Accreditation by BIBF
Our training is recognised by the Professional Institute of Accountants and Tax Consultants. The training programme qualifies for the continuing education obligation.
Accreditation by the Institute of Accountants and Tax Consultants
Our training is recognised by the iec-iab. The training programme qualifies for the continuing education obligation.
Accreditation by the Institute of Company Auditors
Our training is recognised by the IBR-IRE. The training programme qualifies for the continuing education obligation.